Tretinoin Cream

Tretinoin Cream

Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Application Instructions

I say "my" application instructions as this will vary from person to person. 

As you can see by the title page photo, I am using the generic for Retin-A; called Tretinoin Cream 0.025% - this is the lowest dosage.  It was suggested by my dermatologist to use the cream twice a week to start.  To my discretion I can increase the days as I go.  He stated that once I am using it daily (or should I said “nightly”), which is the goal, if I do not have any excessive negative reaction (dryness, flaking, redness) he will increase the dosage.  I have decided to use Retin-A on Tuesdays and Fridays to start.

Incidentally, my dermatologist did write the prescription “for acne” but my insurance company did not cover the cost.  My insurance company's "cut-off age" for acne is 39.  Um, don’t lots of men and women have acne over that age???  How rude.

Package insert states I should dispense “half an inch of product" which should be good for use on the whole face.  I have read that others use a “pea sized" amount but I will just follow the instructions with my tube.  There are A LOT of warnings on the package insert so this is why I say to educate yourself thoroughly before using Retin-A.  I don’t want to list them here to be sure that you go out and learn all the particular details and warnings for yourself – don’t just trust me; who am I anyway?  One thing that is definitely clear is that I should not use any more than the recommended dose no matter how tempted – I will do as I’m told….sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment